World

Hamas confirms death of military leader Mohammed Deif, months after Israeli airstrike

Hamas on Thursday confirmed killing of its military leader Mohammed Deif in an Israeli strike, months after the Israel Defense Forces announcement, Times of Israel reported.

Hamas spokesman Abu Obeida confirmed the death of Dief in a video statement. He also confirmed the deaths of the deputy commander of Hamas’s military wing; Ghazi Abu Tama’a, head of combat support; Raad Thabet, the military wing chief of staff; Rafa’a Salameh, commander of the Khan Younis Brigade; Ayman Nofal, commander of the Central Gaza Brigade; and Ahmed Ghandour, commander of the Northern Gaza Brigade, Times of Israel reported.

In August of last year, Israel announced that it had killed Mohammed Dief in a July 13 air strike in the Khan Younis area.

In a post on X, IDF stated, “We can now confirm: Mohammed Deif was eliminated.”

The Israeli military said that it obtained intelligence confirming his death in the past few hours. Deif was targeted in a strike at Hamas’ Khan Younis Brigade commander Rafa’a Salameh’s compound in Khan Younis area on July 13, The Times of Israel reported.

Earlier, Israel released 110 Palestinian prisoners after receiving security assurance from the mediators of the ongoing ceasefire-hostage deal, following the chaotic scenes in Khan Younis during the handover of Israeli and Thai hostages.

According to Al Jazeera, Israel released the Palestinian prisoners after Israeli military confirmed the release of three Israelis, one male and two female, and five Thailand nationals.

Israel had delayed the release of Palestinian prisoners and had asserted that the prisoners won’t be freed until the “safe passage” of the hostages is “guaranteed in the next releases.”

“Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, together with Defense Minister Israel Katz, has ordered that the release of the terrorists slated to be released today be delayed until the safe exit of our hostages in the next phases is assured. Israel demands that the mediators see to this,” the Israel PM Office said in a statement.

On October 7, 2023, Hamas attacked southern Israel killing over 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting over 200 others. Over 46,000 Palestinians have been also killed in Gaza in Israel’s counter-offensive against Hamas.

ANI

Ani service

Recent Posts

Myanmar government, media welcome India’s earthquake relief support

The Government of Myanmar has expressed deep gratitude for India's swift and substantial support in…

13 hours ago

PoGB: Diamer-Bhasha Dam protesters offer Eid prayers at ongoing sit-in

Protesters affected by the Diamer-Bhasha Dam project offered Eid-ul-Fitr prayers at their ongoing protest camp…

13 hours ago

EAM Jaishankar shares insider’s perspective on ‘The Diplomat’ as it screens in Israel

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar recognised the screening of 'The Diplomat' in Israel for a…

15 hours ago

“May god shower blessings upon India and its leadership!”: Myanmar locals hail Operation Brahma

By Rajnish Singh Operation Brahma by India is operating at full tilt aimed towards providing…

16 hours ago

Indian Navy boosts regional security as INS Tarkash seizes over 2500 kg narcotics

Indian Naval Ship (INS) Tarkash successfully intercepted and seized over 2500 kg of narcotics in…

17 hours ago

India showcases gender equality progress at UNHRC-58 side event

The Rajasthan Samagra Kalyan Sansthan (RSKS India) made a significant impact during the 58th session…

17 hours ago