Categories: Culture

WTA calls for probe into tennis star Peng’s sexual assault allegation against China’s ex-Vice Premier

<p>
The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) has called for a full investigation into sexual assault allegations made by Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai against a former Chinese vice-premier.</p>
<p>
Fellow tennis players are also supporting Peng on the issue through social media posts.</p>
<p>
Former world No.1 tennis doubles player Peng Shuai, one of China's leading sports stars had earlier this month, in a social media post, publicly accused former Chinese vice premier Zhang Gaoli of forcing her to have sex with him.</p>
<p>
<a href="https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2350641/wta-seeks-full-fair-and-transparent-investigation-into-sexual-assault-allegations-against-former-chinese-leader">In a statement</a>, WTA chairman and chief executive Steve Simon called for a "full, fair and transparent investigation" into the allegations, while also demanding an end to the censorship of Ms Peng.</p>
<p>
"The recent events in China concerning a WTA player, Peng Shuai, are of deep concern," Mr Simon said.</p>
<p>
"Peng Shuai, and all women, deserve to be heard, not censored. Her accusation about the conduct of a former Chinese leader involving a sexual assault must be treated with the utmost seriousness."</p>
<p>
The media post that sent shock waves through the Communist country was deleted half an hour after it was published as China's internet is under strict censorship and any mention of the private lives of top leaders is not allowed.</p>
<p>
In the now-deleted post  Peng, 35, wrote :  About three years ago Zhang invited her to play tennis with him and his wife and then sexually assaulted her in his house. “I never consented that afternoon, crying all the time.”</p>
<p>
Peng said then she and Zhang Gaoli, 75, had an on-off extramarital “relationship” over several years, which she said he tried to keep secret. Peng also aid Zhang had stopped contacting her after he rose in the ranks of the Communist party, and that at one point he expressed concern that she might tape their encounters, according to a report in The Guardian.</p>
<p>
<strong>Also read: <a href="https://www.indianarrative.com/culture-news/china-shocked-as-tennis-star-peng-accuses-ex-vice-premier-zhang-of-forcing-her-to-have-sex-with-him-125994.html">China shocked as tennis star Peng accuses ex-Vice Premier Zhang of forcing her to have sex with him</a></strong></p>

IN Bureau

Recent Posts

Pharma tariff exemption to boost India-US trade ties: IPA’s Secretary General Sudarshan Jain

The Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance (IPA) on Thursday welcomed the exclusion of pharmaceuticals from US tariffs,…

2 minutes ago

US tariffs will depend on the type of goods and country of origin: GTRI

According to the new U.S. trade policy announced by President Donald Trump on Wednesday, the…

11 minutes ago

EAM Jaishankar arrives at BIMSTEC Leaders’ Summit, looks forward to further talks

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Thursday thanked Maris Sangiampongsa, Minister of Foreign Affairs of…

1 hour ago

PM Modi departs for Thailand to attend 6th BIMSTEC Summit

Prime Minister Narendra Modi departed for Bangkok, Thailand, on Thursday morning to attend the 6th…

2 hours ago

EU official emphasises importance of free trade agreement between India-EU

Anthony Agotha, Ambassador at Large-Special Envoy for Climate and Environment, European External Action Service, highlighted…

2 hours ago

Myanmar government, media welcome India’s earthquake relief support

The Government of Myanmar has expressed deep gratitude for India's swift and substantial support in…

16 hours ago